Views:0 Author:Site Editor Publish Time: 2021-03-16 Origin:Site
A universal joint is a mechanical device that allows one or more rotating shafts to be linked together, allowing the transmission of torque or rotary motion. Universal joint also allows for transmission of power between two points that are not in line with each other. Universal joints come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes and configurations to accommodate the infinite types of applications. You should always consult a professional before selecting a universal joint.
What is the difference between universal joint and CV joint?
How to choose the universal joint?
How does the universal joint adapt to the machine?
Since the 1600s, universal joints, usually called U-joints, have been used and continue to be used today. The advantage of the U-shaped joint is its simple design. The U-shaped joint looks like a cross with four cylindrical points. These points are connected to the bearing cover through a yoke. Then fix the U-shaped joint in place with a C-clamp, internal snap ring or full-circle ring. Although there is only one design, the U-shaped connector has multiple names, including Spicer connector and Cardan connector. U-shaped joints are used in multiple locations where they connect the transfer case to the front and rear differentials of the 4WD vehicle. Universal joints are also used in vehicles with strong front axles to connect the inner and outer axles.
If you need a larger range of motion, it is recommended to use a constant speed joint, called a CV joint. CV joints are particularly useful on lifting vehicles. Unlike U-shaped joints, which lose speed at certain angles, CV joints are designed to keep the speed constant regardless of the working angle. There is still a limit to the total operating angle of the CV joint, which depends on the type of CV connector used. Unlike U-shaped joints that have the same basic cross pattern, CV joints appear in many different forms that most vehicles using CV joints use multiple styles.
If properly maintained, these joints may last a long time. Some vehicles managed to reach 300,000 miles using their original CV joints. Although U-shaped joints may not last long, you can still get a lot of benefits from it if you are a prudent driver.
While changing out a U-joint may not be your favorite thing to do, most people can do it, even on their own. A U-joint is an especially good pick for people whose off-roading would result in any type of joint snapping. In particular, U-joints are easier to maintain for people who go mudding a lot. The overall replacement cost for U-joints is also significantly less.
The CV joint is able to maintain velocity through a larger range of angles, as well as handling a greater torque load. This makes the CV joint stronger and less susceptible to issues like vibration and friction. This means that CV joints break less.
The prerequisites should be clarified before the universal joint selection:
1. It is necessary to consider the type of prime mover and the load category of the load transmitted by the optional cross-shaft universal joint: one-way constant load, pulsating load or two-way alternating load. What is the installation status of the universal joint? Horizontal, vertical or inclined installation? Make the axis bend angle less than 3 degrees as much as possible. If oblique installation is unavoidable, determine the horizontal and vertical angles.
2. Whether there is a transmission device between the prime mover and the universal joint. If there is a transmission ratio, it will be output by several shafts after passing through the intermediate transmission device, that is, whether there is power split. Consider the type, power and speed of the prime mover.
3. Considering the working environment: whether it is affected by harsh environmental conditions such as high temperature, dust, water spray, chemical corrosion, etc. Choose the corresponding type of universal joint according to the different use environment.
4. It is necessary to know the connection form and specific installation dimensions required at both ends of the universal joint, as well as whether there are special requirements such as mounting brackets.
5. What is the speed of the cross shaft universal joint itself? Whether it needs to be dynamically balanced, if required, which level of balance quality.
6. Whether there are restrictions on the installation location. What is the specific installation length and whether it needs to be telescopic? When telescoping is required, what is the outward extension of the universal joint in a short state. For universal joints that do not require expansion or contraction, the compensation of axial dimensional errors should be considered, and the position for compensation in the system should be determined.
Typical applications of universal joints include aircraft, electrical appliances, control mechanisms, electronic equipment, instrumentation, medical and optical equipment, ordnance, radios, sewing machines, textile machinery and tool drives.
The universal joint can be made of steel or thermoplastic. Under a given size, steel universal joints have the greatest load-bearing capacity. Universal joints with thermoplastic body parts are used in light industrial applications. Its self-lubricating properties, light weight, negligible recoil, corrosion resistance and high-speed running capabilities are significant advantages. Spherical universal joints are used for high-speed operation and transmission of large torque.
Learn more something about universal joints can know how to choose universal joints and the differences between universal joints and CV joints. If you want to buy good shaft couplings with reasonable price, FOSHAN HOUZHE TRANSMISSION EQUIPMENT CO., LTD. is your best choice. Whether from quality or price, or delivery time, we can help customers to open up a further and larger market. We have all types of different universal joint, as well as shaft couplings. And if you have any questions, you can contact us or search us online.